10.07.2010

October 6, 2010

Today was Jackson's appointment in the swamp. I'm always nervous for these. Things change so much. Today was no different.

I'm going to get right to the point here. I walked out of the office with 4 scripts.

One for customized orthotics for arch support. Jackson doesn't have an arch. I have already called and made the appoint for next week. He also needs new shoes, shoes that offer support, Dr. E recommended Asics. We're going to look into how much they are this weekend although it doesn't matter because he NEEDS them so he will have them.

The next script is for Bactroban ointment. A few months ago Jackson started to get these "bumps". Mainly in the armpit area and the upper inner thigh. Went to the Pediatrician to find out what the heck was going on. She explained it is something called Molluscum Contagiosum. It's mainly a childhood thing and most children end up getting it. In a "normal" child, like my oldest, they normally go away within a years time. Yeah, I said a year. I know, right?! Crazy long! And yes, it's contagious, however, it's not harmful and deadly. Jackson is not a "normal" child though. Jackson has a suppressed  immune system so chances are he'll have it for awhile. The Bactroban ointment will hopefully help, along with some other things that I still need to google and figure out.

A new script was also written for Naproxin which he is back to taking twice a day. :( Could be worse though and I know that and I also remind myself that each and every day.

A now for the good news? I think it's good. I hope you will too. Dr. E thinks that the Humira is working well for Jackson. She believes that it what is keeping him from flaring. Therefore, we are going to give Jackson methotrexate ONCE EVERY OTHER WEEK. No more once a week, one week he'll get two shots [Humira and Metho] and the next week he'll just get the Humira. She mentioned that she didn't like to do this cold turkey so for the next 4 months this is how it will be done. Unless he goes into a bad flare and then of course it can change. We go back on Feb. 16th.

So there it is. The good, the not so bad, and the ugly? 

3 comments:

  1. I am happy that Jackson is doing well. The custom orthotics can be pricesy, but youj have insurance so you should be ok there. I have never heard of the shoes she wants to have, but if they are recommended, then go for it. At least he seems to be doing better in the doctor's eyes and the medication is helping him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that it was a pretty good appointment! I hope that the Humira stays working well for him for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humira has helped my son tremendously! He takes it bi-weekly. We just changed the MTX to bi-weekly now too. I hope your son continues to do well!

    ReplyDelete