10.24.2011

Goodbye Naproxin, Hello Mobic!

Holy lack of updates Batman! I apologize for that.

Let's see, where to begin.....

Oh! I know. Let's begin with Jackson's most recent rheumy appointment. It was on the 14th of this month and it went very well! He had been complaining of knee pain (in both knees) since starting school. As you may remember, he is in a new school and it's two stories. Third, fourth, and fifth graders are upstairs, along with music and art. But P.E., cafeteria, nurse, office, library, and more are on the first floor. There IS an elevator and I was worried that one of two things would happen. 1.) He would refuse to use it because he wants to be like every one else. or 2.) He is going to use it exclusively and never use the stairs. He does a combo of both. And my worry that he would keep quiet when and if he was ever in pain? Yeah, that's out the window as well. He always tells his teacher (s) and the staff when he hurts. Yay for self advocating!!

So, back to that appointment. We mentioned the knee pain to the doc and she asked about the naproxin. Does he take it twice a day like he should? That would be a big fat NO. I remind him time and time again and he forgets. I also think that after almost TWO years of being on it, his body has built up a tolerance and it's no longer working. His doctor mention Mobic, like naproxin but he would only have to take it once a day, at night. And I have heard from other parents that their children are on it and it's working well for them. I have high hopes for it but also worry that a tolerance will be built up against it too. But for now, well for now, it's Mobic!

Other than the med change, Jackson got his flu shot and the normal blood draw for labs. We go back in February!

In other news, Jackson and I volunteered for The Arthritis Foundation this past Saturday. It was a good time and we got to meet some new friends. The adult honoree for the Jingle Bell Run/Walk in December was there and meeting her was special. She takes Humira and hates it just as much as Jackson. I am hoping to stay in contact with her and her husband, thank goodness for Facebook! And I think because of her, Jackson was able to do his Humira shot Saturday night with no fight. Thank you Suzy!!

One more thing. We have several families that are dealing with very tough things right now, their kiddos are not doing so well. When you say your prayers, say a little prayer for our JA families. These children are tough, brave, and strong. I admire them.

No comments:

Post a Comment