About a month ago, FL had a cold snap. It was during this time that a mysterious rash appeared on Jackson's body. It was a one shot week and I noticed it as I was putting the emla cream on his arm. His arm felt very prickly and when I turned him around I saw the rash. It covered his back but it wasn't very red or raised. My first thought was maybe he was having an allergic reaction to the change in body wash. I took a picture of it and posted it to my arthritis friends group on FB to get some feedback. I had remembered seeing a picture of another child with a similer looking rash. Turns out it was just a case of extremely dry skin with the other child so I was inclined to think the same about Jackson. When I noticed the rash first, it was a Sunday, and by Tuesday it still wasn't gone but it didn't look any worse. I should mention that it didn't look any better either. I called the pediatrician Tuesday morning and made an appointment for that evening.
Jackson still has the molluscum and I was sorta concerned about that as well so I mentioned that to the Doctor as well. Turns out the molluscum were doing ok and I can proudly say that at this moment they are clearing up and going away! The other mysterious rash though? Yeah, she was inclined to think it was extremely dry skin and gave us a script for some hydrocortizone cream. She also gave us some samples of Cetaphil and some recommendations. I bought the Cetaphil bar soap but had to wait to get him some lotion until Patrick got paid. While waiting for that, the rash got worse and it began to spread. I began to worry.
Patrick got paid and I bought some Suave Lotion for extremely dry skin. For about a week and a half, I lathered Jackson up in the am and again after his nightly shower. In the mean time I began to wonder if Jackson had yet another type of arthritis. So I began the research for psoriatic arthritis. I looked at pictures and I read all the information my brain could take. I talked to my arthritis family and got their feedback as well. I found that people with psoriatic arthritis suffer from what is often referred to as "sausage" fingers and toes. BINGO! When Jackson was first diagnosed over a year ago he had the sausage like fingers and toes. I guess because psoriasis doesn't really run in our family it wasn't even a thought in any one's head. That and the rash hadn't presented its self yet. In speaking with another mom I found out that the rash could take up to 10 years to show!! 10 YEARS people!
I don't want to self diagnose but I really believe that Jackson has psoriatic arthritis. He was initially diagnosed with polyarticular.
His next appointment his Feb. 16th. and I hope to ask the Doctor a lot of questions and come out with a lot of answers! Wish us luck!
(I should also mention that despite the colder weather FL has been having, Jackson is doing and feeling well.)
I'm trying to find that pic again but I can't find it. I know that psoriasis comes in many different forms, but I don't recall thinking psoriasis when I saw it. I have it and mine comes in the form of big angry red welts. It is awful. I hope that isn't what this is for him. Has he seen a derm yet? As I was recalling the pic this morning I was thinking of my friends daughter that has severe eczema. THAT'S what I recall from that pic. It looks like her back gets. As far as lotion, I haaaaaate Suave. If it's working for him, COOL, keep using it. It makes my skin WORSE. Best thing I have found is Equate Advanced Recovery Skin Lotion. Best part? It's cheap :)Be careful of the soap and even shampoo he uses. Look for fragrance/dye free if you can. Also, especially at this time of year when he isn't likely too dirty or sweaty, have him only wash the "essentials" when he bathes. Another thing my skin loves? Olive oil/sugar scrubs. Just did one this morning. Mix equal parts of each and scrub all over, then rinse in the shower. LOVE IT! And if it does turn out to be PSA he will likely just have a slight tweak in meds as it's the same meds anyway. The dry Winter weather is the WORST for any skin condition too. Glad to hear he is doing well otherwise!
ReplyDelete