There are many frustrations that come with being a parent to a child with any kind of disability, or illness. Each family has their own unique and individual frustrations but if you look deep down, you might find that some of the frustrations your family is feeling are the same frustrations that another family is feeling. We all need a support system. It's easy to think you are alone in this, it's easy to curse the Heavens and ask God why. It's easy to hate.
Jackson will have his 1 year anniversary on November 25th. On that day it will be one year since his diagnosis. Some of you may think that arthritis is no big deal. It's not cancer right? How can it possibly be a life threatening issue? Cancer kills people, arthritis does not. Can I tell you how WRONG you are? If you have a healthy child, be thankful. And while you are being thankful for your healthy child(ren) please say a prayer for the children that are not.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, next week in fact! ( Side note - Am I the only one wondering where the year has gone?! Thanksgiving already!!) This year I am thankful that Jackson has amazing doctors. I am thankful for the Mom Squad, and Tony! I am thankful for The Arthritis Foundation. I am even thankful for the scary meds that Jackson has to take because without these meds, who knows how much damage the arthritis could have done. Oh and I am also thankful for a quick diagnosis. We know some people that weren't diagnosed for months or even years.
I am also thankful for my husband who does the dirty work, if you will, of giving Jackson his weekly shots. I am thankful that he has finally found a new job where he seems happy. I am thankful for my oldest son, Shawn, for being who he is. He may not fully understand what his brother has or goes through, but he tries and that is all that I can ask for. I am thankful for my family, immediate and extended, and that includes you JA family! Without the love and support of all of you, I know I would be a basket case. I am even thankful for the people that don't understand and think that arthritis is just for older people. For it is these very people that we get to educate.
*gasp* COURTNEY! That is SO well written!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful Post, I could have written this word for word! Have a GREAT Thanksgiving!!
ReplyDeleteThat is wonderful Courtney. it is wonderfully written. Love you :)
ReplyDeleteSo true. I would be lost without all-o-ya'll, too!!! We are blessed. Not in the way some may think of, but we are blessed nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteBtw- you got props on "One Day At A Time"! :) http://lesli-onedayatatime.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone. And I am so going to check out that blog, thanks for letting me know Dee!
ReplyDelete